Published by the Reuters Institute for the Study of Journalism with the support of the Google News Initiative, authors Joy Jenkins and Lucas Graves discuss the challenges and potential of collaboration initiatives on local journalism. Three cases reflecting distinct models of collaboration in Europe were included in the report: Bureau Local (United Kingdom), ‘L’Italia Delle Slot’ (Italy), and Lännen Media (Finland).
Based on data gathered from more than 30 interviews with key figures from the three initiatives, the following findings were noted by Jenkins and Graves (2019, pp. 5-6):
- Each collaboration is designed to facilitate concrete forms of resource sharing – of both human and technical resources – while minimising potential competitive friction among the individuals and organisations involved.
- All three collaborations feature diverse and dispersed networks, and are dedicated to creating connections, both virtually and in person, to allow for knowledge-sharing, skills enhancement, and mentorship. They also aim to engage participants as equal partners in editorial processes.
- Participants suggest that collaborative approaches have allowed them to report on topics they would not typically cover as well as engage with familiar subjects in more comprehensive ways. Many said they have also learned how to better incorporate data and multimedia elements into their reporting.
- Two of the collaborations embrace strategies that allow them to connect with communities to tell their stories. The Bureau Local and ‘L’Italia Delle Slot’ have worked to build partnerships with individuals and organisations affected by the issues they cover, while Lännen Media journalists aim for coverage with broad appeal that doesn’t favour particular localities.
- Despite their short tenures, these efforts have shown evidence of impact on a variety of political, social, and economic issues, due in part to distribution strategies in which national and local content is released simultaneously across an array of platforms.
For the complete report, please visit this page.
Jenkins, J., & Graves, L. (2019). Case studies in collaborative local journalism. Oxford, UK: Reuters Institute for the Study of Journalism.